Wednesday, May 21, 2008

I am getting into the swing of things, I think...

I should have posted a long time ago, but WOW did I ever have a learning curve with this stuff! This is the first time that I feel like I am getting comfortable with Liz and Jackie.

Well, I wasn't sure that I was going to make it this far. I have actually been doing okay, I think. I have managed to memorize all my lines in both Act I and II, although I am still not singing as well as I would like for the all the EX-GF's numbers. I think it's because I still have to think about the choreography and the lyrics and the actual notes I am singing. Tonight we don't have rehearsal so I will take the opportunity to read High Fidelity and hopefully get some insights into the characters. I am getting a good vision from my creative self about them, because I do feel that there's a good bit of me in both of the girls. I had fun the other night going shopping in character, just to see what kind of stuff they would wear. I liked the stuff that they picked out. This was a big deal for me as I am really trying to open up my creative self.

This is really due to a book I am reading titled The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I have to tell you that it is such a powerful book. It is about unblocking your creative pathways. It is a 12-week course that involves a lot of writing and self-examination. I consider myself mostly blocked as an artist because I still have HUGE issues with really freeing up my talents. According to the book, we have incorrect core beliefs that can prevent us from accessing our creativity to the fullest. One of mine is that I cannot be a "real" artist because it doesn't make any money. I also have a very deep fear of being ridiculed for my "real" artistic self. So, this resistance manifests in me not practicing my art as much as I should (violin, voice, etc). And also, I have been very reluctant to actually complete any of the exercises from the book because they are really transformative. I am definitely one of those people that fears success more than failure.

Anyhow, back to the play. I am having so much damn fun! I was really, really afraid of how I would memorize all the lines and blocking, and everything (thanks Margeau for the index card tip!), but it really does fall into place. The show is going to be GOOD. Every time that the guys perform "Nine Percent", I get so excited. If we can have that kind of energy through the whole show, it will be unforgettable. I am really feeling like I am part of something. I didn't really understand how when Charles was doing "Jesus Christ Superstar", it really consumed him.

I find myself hearing the songs underscoring everything during my day and I find myself going over lines when I'm driving, and I find that the characters really do come to life if you let them. I am really striving for a discernible emotional development of Liz over the course of the show. Scott has been really instrumental in explaining how to look for this and I must say that I really respect how clear he is in his direction. It is so cool to see everyone else developing their characters and each time they deliver their lines there is something different there. My goal for this week is to lock everything in so that I will be flawless for run-throughs.

I have my last jazz gig for a while at Cookie's on Friday. My playing will probably not be the best because I really haven't devoted the time to it that I should have, but I absolutely love the guys that I am playing with and we will definitely have a fantastic time. It's funny, but I think that being onstage in this different way just helps add dimension to everything. My hope is that the theatrical work will improve the music-making work and vice versa.

Gotta run for now, I'm going to try and post some more stuff tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How cool that you mention "The Artist's Way"--my company uses that book as a year-long meditation (we do a chapter a month and then get together to support one another). I'll let you know when we're having our next Artist's Way meeting--you should join us!!!

I'm so glad we get to work together; you're doing a fantastic job!

xoxo,
Margeau