Monday, May 26, 2008

First Full Run Through....

Tonight was the first full run through of the show. I felt more comfortable with the lines and I am really trying hard to internalize my dialogue so that it feels more like real conversations than just me waiting for the other actors to say their lines. Scott pointed out that I cannot seem to stand still so I will focus on that for tomorrow. It just occurred to me that one of the main reasons why stillness onstage feels so unnatural to me is because when I am performing in front of a band, I cannot just stand there and deliver a song without moving -- that would be boring. Something is always in motion, so I'm thinking that I will really have to concentrate to get this right for the show.

I also tried singing while doing the choreography that we just implemented yesterday (!) for "She Goes". I absolutely love all the moves and that I actually get to dance. Yes, big girls can dance too, although I was definitely sweating like I was on trial. Note to self: I need to buy some hair that can take the heat from my head. I could have wrung out my wig when it was all over. I think that we are going to rock out on so many of the songs in this show, the ex-GFs are just ferociously talented! Katie wasn't at rehearsal tonight (hope you feel better!) and I missed her. I think that out of all of us GF's, Katie is definitely the dance captain! She is just so very confident in her execution of the moves, I hope this will rub off as the production goes on.

I am also enjoying the scenes that I have with Jeff, he is such a pro. I am very interested to see how the relationship of our characters develops as we continue running through the show. As I reflect more on Liz's role in Rob and Laura's relationship, it occurs to me that part of why Liz is so pissy is that Rob really takes her for granted. Maybe the reason why he hasn't worked to make his relationships successful is because he has Liz to fall back on. What I mean is that Rob is not allowing his girlfriends to be complete women for him because Liz is filling in the blanks. Liz is the one who "understands him" and gives him a shoulder to cry on and even nurtures him (she cooks for him every time he breaks up!).

Why should he go whole hog into a relationship when he can select the parts of a relationship that he wants to deal with? I don't know if that makes sense or not, but having been this female friend in my own life, I feel like this resonates. I am thinking that Liz may on some level resent this, not because she wants that relationship with Rob, but because she sees how his dependence on her is in some way causing him to cop out on working things out with Laura. Hmmm, this makes sense as a partial explanation for Liz's growing frustration over the course of the play. Plus, I think Liz really wants Rob & Laura to be happy together.

Anyhow, I think that it went OK for being the first run through. I am definitely beginning to see the full story now that we are putting it together. I need new shoes before the show starts because I have worn these damn heels out! Oh yeah, and my feet are KILLING me. I can't believe I'll have to do all this over again in less than 24 hours.

Since I am still sharing a car with Charles, I had to wait for a bit after rehearsal for him to come pick me up. Kimi, Trish and Scott were very sweet to wait out in the dark with me. I think I value the time that we all spend outside of rehearsal even more, because to me, it is a chance to speak with other artists. I have often spoken with Charles about needing an artists' community because we artists are definitely different from the mundanes and I think it is important to spend time with others of a like mind. For someone like me who has a "day job" that occupies most of my time, any time that I can spend with artistic folk is a blessing.

I have to go, it's time to get some sleep so that I can go function in the "real world". G'night.

No comments: