Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Finally, I have created my blog!

Here it is, the first post from Liz 3.0. I don't have any idea what was up with my other two predecessors, but I FREAKING LOVE this experience! Thanks to all the other exes for their support and guidance! I am actually a musical theatre geek, my husband had to bring me out of the closet when we first met, though. I was in major denial...I would say, "I hate musicals, they're dumb.." then totally know all the words to every song.

So anyhow, I joined the cast about a week late and I am still adjusting to this world that is so different from my jazz gigs or orchestra rehearsals or whatever. Oh, yeah -- I guess I could give you some background. I am primarily a violinist, have been so for about 26 years. I have played with orchestras, string quartets, rappers, rock bands, wedding bands and as of late, jazz trios. I took voice lessons all through college, I loved opera. I did one musical in high school and i was "Grace" in Annie. I just remember that I had to wear this hideous wig.. just picture James Brown in a dress.

I didn't start singing any kind of pop music until long after I was out of school and had met my husband and I needed a way to pay rent. He asked me if I sang, I said "I guess", and I ended up singing with a wedding band. He is responsible for any note you hear come out of my mouth because he taught me to sing. There. I've put it in writing. I say it all the time, but he just blows it off. Thanks, Charles, I would not be here without you.

I didn't express my true love for musicals until we started going to ShowTunes at Freddies (now JustJohn's). If you love show tunes, this is great! They play videos and take requests of your favorite performances of classic and current Broadway. I try to go every Sunday night.

Sorry, I really am a talker, even if I am just talking to myself. Anyway, we just ran Act I last night and we were really supposed to be off book but that so did not happen for me. I tried to not be face-down in the book, but it felt a lot like Linus' blanket to me. I have made several realizations after the run through -- I will give you my top 5, in the spirit of the show:

  1. I am really, really out of shape. No really. I am going to the damn gym! I mean, it would be too ridiculous to see one of Rob's hot ex-girlfriends sucking on an asthma inhaler while she was dancing around the stage, right? My pride won't let that happen.
  2. I did not realize that I can neither walk nor talk nor sing simultaneously. This is a lot of stuff to remember -- just the blocking or the songs or the script alone is going to be some serious work.
  3. I really, really like this cast. I have seen other productions of shows where the cast was just weak, you know? This cast has great energy and they are as nice as self-centered artists can be, heh heh.. Please nobody take this the wrong way, but artists are "me" people. After all, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "m" and an "e" ;) I just like how no one really seems to be self-conscious and are really developing their characters. It is so cool to have a front seat to this process.
  4. I like the fact that I can develop the character and channel some of my inner (and outer) bitch. I think that Liz is a fundamentally nice person, but she gets kind of tired of being in the middle of two friends that are fighting. Having done this in real life, it does get old. I really like that I get to be cutting to Rob -- it reminded me of my entire life during high school. I was always the boys' best friend that they came to with all of their troubles. Yeah, that gets old too.
  5. I must, must must must must take better care of myself! With this intense rehearsal schedule, my day job, and gigs I have with Charles, I cannot afford to be sick. I am really trying to modify my diet to support all this activity.

Anyway, once I figure out how to do video, I will be talking at you as well as typing. Thanks for tuning in. I have a lot to say about everything so this will probably be that place. Bye for now.

No comments: